Table of Contents
August 01, 2023
3 min read
- The U.S. News & World Report released its 34th annual best hospitals rankings.
- Previously ranking by excellency, the report now highlights 22 hospitals in an honor roll.
The U.S. News & World Report released its list of the 2023-2024 best hospitals Tuesday.
This year’s Best Hospitals rankings include several refinements, like the expanded inclusion of other outpatient data, an increased weight on objective quality measures, the introduction of outpatient outcomes in key specialty rankings and surgical ratings, a reduced weight on expert opinion and more, according to a press release.
The U.S. News & World Report previously ranked hospitals by excellence — the Mayo Clinic topped that list for 7 consecutive years — but now compiles an honor roll of the best hospitals alphabetically. This year’s rankings highlight 484 regional hospitals “that deliver high-quality treatment across many areas of care,” according to the release. Just 22 of those are named to the national Honor Roll “for demonstrating exceptional breadth of excellence across clinical specialties.”
“A recent survey of U.S. News users revealed more than four in five (84%) consider a hospital’s quality metrics to be important factors when deciding where to seek treatment for a serious medical issue,” Ben Harder, chief of health analysis and managing editor at U.S. News, said in the release. “Consumers want useful resources to help them assess which hospital can best meet their specific care needs. The 2023-2024 Best Hospitals rankings offer patients and the physicians with whom they consult a data-driven source for comparing performance in outcomes, patient satisfaction and other metrics that matter to them.”
According to the report, these are the medical centers that are among the best of the Best Hospitals:
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St. Louis;
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston;
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles;
- Cleveland Clinic;
- Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian, Philadelphia;
- Houston Methodist Hospital;
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore;
- Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston;
- Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota;
- Mount Sinai Hospital, New York City;
- New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia and Cornell, New York City;
- North Shore University Hospital at Northwell Health, Manhasset, New York;
- Northwestern Medicine-Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago;
- NYU Langone Hospitals, New York City;
- Rush University Medical Center, Chicago;
- Stanford Health Care-Stanford Hospital, Stanford, California;
- UC San Diego Health-La Jolla and Hillcrest Hospitals, San Diego;
- UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles;
- UCSF Health-UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco;
- University of Michigan Health-Ann Arbor;
- UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas; and
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville.
In addition to the Honor Roll, U.S. News has ranked the top hospitals in select specialties:
MD Anderson again ranked best cancer hospital in nation
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center has retained its distinction as the No. 1 cancer hospital in the country. Read more.
U.S. News & World Report ranks Cleveland Clinic top in US for cardiology, heart surgery
Cleveland Clinic tops U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals rankings for 2023-2024 for cardiology and heart surgery. Read more.
Mayo Clinic repeats as top US hospital for diabetes, endocrinology
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, is the No. 1 hospital in the U.S. for diabetes and endocrinology, according to the 2023-2024 Best Hospitals rankings. Read more.
U.S. News & World Report names Brigham and Women’s Hospital top in US for OB/GYN care
Brigham and Women’s Hospital was named the top hospital in the U.S. for OB/GYN care. This is the second year in a row that Brigham and Women’s Hospital has been ranked as No. 1 hospital for OB/GYN care. Read more.
Mayo Clinic tops charts for 8th consecutive year as best hospital for gastroenterology
For the 8th consecutive year, Mayo Clinic is ranked the No. 1 hospital for gastroenterology and GI surgery. Read more.
Hospital for Special Surgery named best US hospital for orthopedic care
For the 14th straight year, Hospital for Special Surgery has been named the top hospital in the United States for orthopedic care. Read more.
Mayo Clinic ranked No. 1 in US for pulmonology and lung surgery
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, maintained its position as No. 1 on U.S. News & World Report’s list of Best Hospitals for pulmonology and lung surgery. Read more.
Johns Hopkins named top hospital for rheumatology for sixth year by U.S. News
Johns Hopkins has been named the best hospital for rheumatology in the United States for the sixth consecutive year. Read more.